Happy Monday! I’ve always loved chili. It’s such a good fall or winter comfort food. I’ve also always craved a sweeter version of chili so thought I’d play around with everyone’s favorite ingredient right now…pumpkin! You can’t go wrong with the whole sweet and savory thing so I decided to make a beef chili with sweet potato and pumpkin in the mix!
It came out great. My only issue is that I just chowed down a bowl and it made me even more tired than I already was, which I didn’t think was possible today. Anyways, here is the recipe! If you’re wondering why there are no beans in it, it’s because I don’t really eat beans anymore. That makes this recipe primal / paleo friendly.
Sweet Potato and Pumpkin Beef Chili
- 1.5 lbs Grass-fed Beef Sirloin
- 1/2 Yellow Onion (chopped)
- 1 Large Sweet Potato (cubed)
- 1 Large Can Organic Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Small Can Organic Tomato Paste
- 1 Small Can Beef Broth (low sodium)
- 1.5 cups Organic Pumpkin Puree
- Coconut Oil
- Chili Powder, Cumin, Cayenne Pepper, Salt, Garlic, Cinnamon
Drop a dollop of coconut oil in a sauce pan. Add chopped onions and saute. Once onions are browned add the beef and cook through until there is no pink left. Add crushed tomatoes, paste, broth, and pumpkin. Start adding spices to taste. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes and then add the cubed sweet potato (I microwaved my whole potato for 3 minutes before cutting it). Let chili cook over medium heat for 30-40 minutes.