Hello! I can’t believe Christmas is here and gone already…too fast, too fast people. I am going to do a Christmas re-cap over the next few days but first I wanted to tell you about the workout I did on Christmas Eve.
I stumbled upon it on Tina’s (from Carrots n Cake) Instagram. Since I was going to the gym that morning and needed a WOD to do I jumped on it! I googled 12 Days of Christmas WOD and a bunch of Crossfit gym’s websites came up. I picked the one that I thought would be best for me.
This is how it went:
- 1 Clean (30 Pounds)
- 2 Hand Stand Pushups (modified this to 2 shoulder presses)
- 3 Front Squats (30 Pounds)
- 4 Sumo Deadlift High Pull (30 Pounds)
- 5 Pull Ups
- 6 Box Jumps
- 7 Burpees
- 8 Push Ups
- 9 Wall Balls (10 Pounds)
- 10 Kettle Bell Swings (15 Pounds)
- 11 Deadlifts (30 Pounds)
- 12 Thrusters
The concept of the workout worked just like the 12 Days of Christmas song. Do exercise 1, then exercise 1 and 2, then 1 and 2 and 3, and so on. It was a really tough one but so fun and so worth it! I’m telling you, one of the best motivators I have found is knowing you are going to be enjoying yourself (and cheating). It gives me the motivation knowing I am earning my meals! I finished in just under 30 minutes!
How did you earn your Christmas dinners?
I can’t take full credit for these primal salsa burgers. My sister gave me the idea this summer when she told me about her salsa turkey or chicken burgers. I decided to try them out with some real meat and on the grill. Now they have become a go-to dinner / lunch. I’ve really been enjoying bringing burgers to work for my lunch. They’re easy to re-heat and filling!
Easy Primal Salsa Burgers
- 1.5 llbs organic grass-fed beef sirloin
- 1 cup of fresh salsa (mine was from Whole Foods)
Mix the beef and salsa together and form 5 patties. Throw on the grill on medium heat and cook for 8-10 minutes on one side and then flip. Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes depending on your desired temperature. Wah lah! Told you that was easy!
For my sides I cooked up some quinoa and roasted some brussels sprouts with salt, pepper, and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
This meal was a perfect one to follow the workout I did tonight. I feel like my week doesn’t start until my Monday workout and dinner…it really helps kick me in to gear for the rest of the week.
- Ran 1 mile
- Walked for 5 minutes
- Biked for 5 minutes at a high resistance
Three Rounds for Time: Completed in 8:15
- 10 clean squats with 40 pound bar
- 20 box jumps
This WOD was a quick hitter but definitely kicked my butt. My legs are going to be feeling pretty sore tomorrow!
I haven’t made stir-fry in ages! I don’t even know how that’s possible but when my roommate made it last week for dinner it’s been on my mind ever since. I was excited to saute the chicken in coconut oil too. I’ve really only used coconut oil in some paleo / gluten – free treats so was interested to see how it would come out using it in place of olive oil, etc. Well it came out delicious! And now I have lunch for the rest of the week.
Coconut Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry
- 3 Organic Chicken Breasts
- 1lb Fresh Mixed Stir Fry Veggies (Whole Foods has a great bin of them in their produce section)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Cup Organic Gluten Free Teriyaki Sauce
- Cut the chicken into cubes (or strips) and turn the stove on medium heat.
- Put the coconut oil in the pan once it gets hot and then throw in the chicken.
- Throw in the onions from the veggie mix at this point.
- Saute the chicken until there is no more pink, approximately for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper on the chicken and mix.
- Add the teriyaki sauce and let simmer on medium heat for a couple of minutes.
- Add the stir fry vegetables and cover the pan.
- Turn the burner on low and let cook for about 10 – 15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
I put my stir-fry over some quinoa. It made a great dinner and lunches for the rest of the week!
Tonight’s workout felt great but it definitely winded me! I swear every time I look at a Crossfit work out and think “oh that might be a little bit easier” it ends up being such a tough one. Those tricky Crossfit WOD creators I tell ya!
This is how I chose my workout today. I went to Crossfit.com. After not seeing any recent ones that I was feeling I decided to go back a bit further into the archives. I went to November, 2012 and decided to look at November 3rd because that’s the day that me and Andy went on our first date. Yes, this is how my weird brain works. I wrote that work-out down along with two others.
I then texted this exact picture to Andy and asked him which workout I should do. He really helps with my indecisiveness a lot! He also knows what my body can and can’t handle and what will challenge me. It’s nice having a sort-of personal trainer for free! He suggested the first or last one. I went for the last one:
Three Rounds for Time: I did mine in about 23 minutes
- Row 500 meters
- 21 Burpees (I just realized I did 25 for all 3 rounds!)
- Run 400 meters