Alright, so I guess it’s officially 2014! Today really felt like the start to the New Year for me. The first full week back to work, back to my routine, AND I started the 21 Day Sugar Detox! I came across this detox through the paleo / primal blog world. It was created by Diane Sanfilippo of Balanced Bites and author of the 21 Day Sugar Detox book and cookbook.
What Is The 21 Day Sugar Detox?
The 21 Day Sugar Detox is based heavily on a paleo diet but especially removing refined sugars through carbs and processed foods. Even people who eat paleo or primal, often don’t realize how much sugar could be in the foods we eat every day (sneaky sneaky).
Why Am I Doing the 21 Day Sugar Detox?
I’ve been eating primal for about 2 years now. To be honest when I find foods / meals that I like I stick to them, for a very long time. I mean I’ve been eating the same omelet for the past two years multiple nights per week. I’ve been eating cottage cheese as a snack for almost two years now too. That’s a little crazy when I write it down.
I thought it would be great to switch up the foods I am putting in my body to see what differences I notice. To be honest, I don’t have to make major changes since I already follow a primal lifestyle, but I know it will still be a challenge.
Foods I am Eliminating from My Diet
- Cottage Cheese (really any cheese for that matter but I eat cottage cheese the most)
- Kind Bars (you know how much I love Kind Bars as a snack)
- Berries (you are only allowed one fruit a day limited to green apples or green tipped bananas)
- Ketchup (I eat eggs every day which means I eat ketchup everyday…bummer)
- Alcohol ( alright, to be honest this will probably be the hardest. There are a couple of events I will be attending during the detox that I will have to stay away from the bar for)
- Justin’s Honey/Maple Almond Butter (I can have the original though…phew)
- Gum (I have a slight gum addiction, so this might be a tough one but good to get it under control)
21 Day Sugar Detox Grocery List – Week 1
I am not following an exact meal plan from the book but am making a few recipes from it! The below shopping list are ingredients to make the Cinilla Nut Mix that I will have for a snack at work all week and the mexi-meatloaf that I will have for lunches/dinners.
- Yellow Onion
- Bell Peppers Cilantro
- 1.5 lbs Grass Fed Ground Beef
- Tomato Paste
Day 1 Meals
9AM: Black Coffee
10:30AM: Cinilla Nut Mix
1:30PM: Balsamic Braised Beef from the 21 Day Sugar Detox book that I made over the weekend. It’s my favorite so far!
4:00PM: A banana, coconut milk, and cocoa shake made with my new MyBlend blender!
9:00PM: Dinner was my last leftover piece of my Bacon and Broccoli Frittata with avocado on the side. It was a little difficult not to use ketchup but the avocado made up for it!
I feel great after Day 1! According to Diane day 3 and 4 are the hardest of the first week. Is anyone else doing or has done the 21 Day Sugar Detox? How did your first few days go?